Wisdom tooth extraction is a surgical procedure that requires some post-operative care to reduce the chance of infection or other complications.
- Immediately after surgery, a gauze pad will be placed over the extraction site, which should not be removed for at least 45 minutes, and then discarded after that.
- Refrain from drinking from a straw or rinsing the mouth to ensure that you do not dislodge the blood clot that has formed.
- Limit your activities that day. You can resume your regular activities the following day.
- Take the pain medication as prescribed to reduce the amount of discomfort you feel after the local anesthetic wears off.
- As with any oral surgery, refrain from drinking through a straw as doing so creates suction and may disrupt the sutures.